Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Beginning





This is a beginning that is more than learning how to use my computer. The beginning feels like the beginning of not rejecting a new electronic culture. I am older and we didn’t have computers or microwaves or cell phones or TV while I was growing up. They have all felt like a great clutter that I must try to incorporate into my life, or not incorporate into my life. So I mostly haven’t. I tried a cell phone for a while. I couldn’t find the times when I would want to be so connected by phone to other people. I stopped paying for it. I have happily lived without TV for 25 years. I read instead. And I have never added a microwave to my kitchen. Partly my choices have been because I don’t want to use more resources to run my life than I really need. A lot of my choice making has been to protect my inner life from clutter. Recently, I have had an image of an old curmudgeon who won’t give up her horse and buggy to try out that new fangled automobile. Even though all the preferences I’ve stated are true, I’d like to acquire a happier response to the evolving electronic age. Opening this blog, joining the crowd, telling about what I’m pondering is my starting place.

7 comments:

Roberta S said...

I made the quick trek here from Pauline's place.

So Hi Eileen and welcome to a world where we dare and share. I think you will find that you really will enjoy frolicking in the lovely little nest you've set up for yourself.

Though anonymous friendships are formed here, we really do cultivate an intimate level of affection.

So you GO GIRL! We're all here, cheering you on.

Mother of Invention said...

Good for you and Happy Blogging!

I'm a semi-retired Gr. 3 teacher and am not very tech-savvy but when we had to do report cards on the computer, I struggled and I learned what I had to..barely!

I never knew how to upload pictures for the whole first year I blogged! I hardly visited another blog either. It is an interesting slice of others'lives when you read them though.

Eileen said...

When Pauline showed me the people on her blog , I had thought I would try yours first because of you article about teaching social studies to children. I loved turnig social studies into improvs when I taught. We would start with just enough information to start playig like we were the people . After we established the water hole in the back room and gathered around it , the kids were curious enough about the Bushmen to be interested in more information And so it went . Your blog took me back to the Sahara in the back room , sitting around the water hole with my 3rd and 4th graders . Thank you for your encouragement

meggie said...

Hi Eileen, Pauline sent me!
I have very much enjoyed your first 2 posts.

I felt so shy & timid when I first began to blog. I am rather addicted to it now!
There are so many wonderful words to read, & other peoples thought & opinions.

Some of the best of those words are Pauline's.

Mother of Invention said...

You sound like a really lively teacher and one who the kids will remember fondly! I love being in a small town where I run into all kinds of "kids" I've taught. I barely recognise them with their adult faces working in the grocery store or coffee shops!

Lillie said...

Welcome to blogging, Eileen. I hope it gives you much pleaure!
There is a difference between not being able to learn new tricks and discriminating between what is useful to you and what is not. Your comment in your profile, that you sit and think a lot, is a quality so many of us forget in our rush to stay up to date, so we end up being able to talk about mindless television shows and not much else.
I look forward to hearing what you think about.

Eileen said...

Thank you for your encouragement . I wrote a new piece and Pauline showed me how to add a picture. The picture is the best part. i think I'm going to like this talking when I can work it all more easily . I;m going to go to your site to say hello to you.